Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tips for Tuesday..and a recipe too!!

Bodybuggs and Fitbits...

 

Well to start things off let's talk about some devices that can be extremely helpful on your weight loss journey. There are heaps of gadgets available to help you meet your goals. In my opinion, however, there are only two main contenders.


1.  The Fit Bit

2. The bodybugg (or Bodymediafit)

Similarities :

  • Both of these items are going to count your calories.
  • They are going to count your steps
  • They both have websites that let you set goals
  • They monitor your sleep
  •  Both sync with MyFitnessPal

Differences  :

Bodybug:

The bodybugg or body media fit is  the only FDA-certified medical device. It tracks movement, skin temperature, heat dissipation, and perspiration levels into an algorithm to give steps taken, sleep efficiency that's about 95% accurate, and gets more accurate as you continue to wear it. 

Detractors: 
  • it's $6.95 a month to keep is accurate, and there's not display on the device so you either have to activate the bluetooth and use the app on your android or iPhone to check your daily progress or..you have to plug your bugg into your computer. 
  • it's worn on your arm so unless you want to tell everyone about what it is you have to wear sleeves long enough to cover it up.
 
  • It's more accurate in my opinion having worn them at the the same time. 

Fitbit


This little guy only uses an  accelerometer and an altimeter, to track your calories burned, steps taken, stairs climbed, and even how well you've slept.It also your movements at night to compare the time you're lying down versus the time you were asleep. 

Detractors:
  • You have the move the Fitbit to your wrist and wear this armband to monitor your sleep..and you have to push a button to start and stop the sleep monitoring process.
  • The fitbit is cheaper over all, and it's more discreet as it's worn on your pocket in between your bra.  Also fitbit has a display right on the device.


I could go on and on about the pros and cons of each of these devices but really it's up to you...I have both so...I use both. I prefer my bodybugg. but when I want to monitor my calories and wear a sleeveless dress or short sleeves I clip my fit bit on and go.  I think that bodybugg has an edge of fit bit on accuracy. I think the fitbit has a better overall interface, and is a bit more fun giving you stairs climbed and more. Honestly you can't go wrong with either and....these are just a piece of the puzzle. You've got to make them work for you! 

Set your goals with either device, and meet them! Having a device like this lets you become really specific about your goals. You know what you can afford to eat cause you're getting a general idea of what you burn and Calories in Calories out is most of the battle...but we all knows it's not that simple. 

I use Myfitnesspal to keep me accurate, but you can to be honest about every lick, bite, and nibble. I have not been as accurate as I should have been, so now that I have the opportunity I'm buckling down and seeing what happens. I've got about 20 or so pounds left to go until I've reached "goal weight" but I know that I want to look become a bikini or figure competitor so I'll have a long way to go after that....

Salsa Chicken (serves 12):
3lbs. of chicken breast
1 jar of salsa 
( I used Trader Joes "Hot Chipolte Salsa)
2-3 diced tomatoes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced green onion 
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp of Kosher Salt
1 tsp cayenne (for spicy lovers) 

fresh cilantro and/or green onion for garnish

Dump it all into crockpot, turn on low and go to work...come home shred chicken and serve.
I eat this with rice, but you can eat it on a bed of salad, or roll it into a (clean) tortilla.

Macros (based on a 6 oz serving)
Calories: 141
Fat: 1g
Carbs: 4g
Protein: 26g 
Adapted from heandsheeatclean.com

That's all for now folks! Enjoy the recipe~~


No comments:

Post a Comment